Avda. Príncipe de Asturias 92
30858 Paretón, Totana
Murcia, Spain

Spain sells more vinyl records than CDs for the first time in 30 years

20th September 2022
Spain sells more vinyl records than CDs for the first time in 30 years

MURCIA – It sounds unbelievable but according to Promusicae figures, in the first half of 2022 more vinyl records than CDs were sold in Spain. It is the first time in 30 years that more LPs are sold than CDs and the music sector owes that to the trend and the offer.

Anyone who knows Jelco (DroomHuisSpain) knows that he is a huge lover of vinyl. And that doesn't surprise him either. ¨No I don't find that surprising in this digital age, there is a kind of yearning for the old days when everything was better. People are looking for a kind of peace in these busy times and the vinyl record helps I think ¨.......

The vinyl record is back, in a digital age where streaming music via Spotify, YouTube Music, Amazon Music or Apple Music is the most natural thing in the world. Of all physical music sold in the first six months of this year, 54% was vinyl records with a revenue of 13.6 million euros, while the CDs had a 44% share with 11.1 million euros in revenue.

Vinyl records (vinilos) have seen a spectacular 25.6% increase over the past six months, while CD (cedés) sales fell 20.8%. It is the first time since 1991 that more vinyl records than CDs have been sold in Spain. In the first half of 2022, 191.5 million euros worth of music was sold in Spain, 12.4% more than in the same period in 2021.

It is not known how many vinyl records were sold, but that was a total of 1.6 million copies in 2021, compared to 140,000 copies 10 years earlier. In terms of CDs, 79 million were sold in 2001, but that had fallen to 4.4 million copies ten years later in 2021.

Streaming music accounts for 87% of all revenue while the remaining 13% consists of physical sales of CDs and vinyl records, although there is also a very small percentage of cassette tapes (but not significant).


Latest articles

Go back to news
PROPERTY OF THE WEEK !! - DroomHuisSpanje


The house of the week is a little later than usual this week, but should certainly not be missed! This week we would like to tell you more about this 2-room apartment. The apartment is on the top floor of a beautiful small-scale apartment complex in Santa Rosalia. Modern penthouse deluxe in...

20th September 2022
Do you already follow DreamHouseSpanje on Instagram? - DroomHuisSpanje

Do you already follow DreamHouseSpanje on Instagram?

Did you know that DroomHuisSpanje is also active on Instagram? We regularly post photos about Spain, homes or useful facts there, so why not follow us on Instagram? DreamHouseSpain can therefore not only be followed on Facebook and YouTube! We regularly post offers on Instagram with a photo...

5th September 2022
Whatsapp icon Whatsapp